I love love love reading 1001 Rules for My Unborn Son, and I agree with the majority of them. I love how specific they are, from “You can’t serenade a girl on the drums” to a Buddy Garrity quote: “He loves football. He just doesn’t know it yet.”
And while I am not that detailed, I thought I’d make a list of the basic things I know I will teach my son(s). This may get long, and it may get more detailed, but hell, that’s just how I am. I’m going to try to keep this away from the “how to treat women” side of things.
- Don’t hit girls. (Broke my rule already. This is the only one.)
- Dress for the occasion (hunting boots in the woods, suits in church).
- You can cry, but make sure it’s warranted.
- Don’t piss into the wind. Or in front of women.
- Watch Indiana Jones.
- Go outside.
- Learn to hunt.
- Learn to fish.
- Learn to work on cars.
- Tell the truth.
- Don’t put yourself in situations you know you can’t get out of safely.
- Play baseball.
- Climb trees.
- Wrestling on TV is not real.
- Always come home when someone is sick.
- Read a book once in awhile.
- Always bring at least a 6-pack.
- Spiral a football–don’t just throw it.
Aaaand I’m tired, and am ready for the weekend. So have a great Memorial Day Weekend! See you Tuesday!