Wow, what a thing to wake up to on a Friday morning. THE END OF GENDER!
Breaking news! #)$(#@@#$)*(%)(!@ REALLY!?
Now I’m pissed. SUPER pissed. “Gender is becoming extinct.” No kidding! And normally I hate hate hate NPR and refuse to look at/listen to it(sorry, artsy friends), but they put up this article yesterday, and I am losing my mind.
Okay, check out these bullets from the article:
“Look closely and you may see signposts.
• Kathy Witterick and her husband, David Stocker, are raising their 4-month-old child, Storm, without revealing the child’s gender. According to the birth announcement from the Toronto couple: “We’ve decided not to share Storm’s sex for now — a tribute to freedom and choice in place of limitation, a stand up to what the world could become in Storm’s lifetime (a more progressive place?)”
• Andrej Pejic, an androgynous Australian model, worked both the male and female runways at the Paris fashion shows earlier this year.
• A recent J. Crew catalog drew national attention when it featured a young boy with his toenails painted pink.” –this dumb article
1) OMG reveal the child’s sex. “More progressive place”? Really? Let’s just undefine everything that we’ve ever defined. PLEASE! So that no one knows left from right, and no one knows up from down. SERIOUSLY.
2) Okay, models are different, and I do not care. I don’t think models look like real people anyway.
3) Um, kids are special. Sometimes, they imitate to learn. If they end up being gay and wanting to paint their toenails, giddy up. If they end up straight wanting to paint their toenails, giddy up.
But I am scared outta my mind that the children of the future are going to grow up without gender roles. It’s farkin’ stupid. We bitch about how people don’t know how to act. Well that’s because we’re so afraid to tell them how to act, or to show them, because God forbid we offend anyone.
Please don’t get me wrong. I love gay folks, I love straight folks, I have no problem with people being confused about gender. I have no problem with people who do anything. To each their own. But as a society? DAMNIT I do have a problem with the fact that people are being offended by something that is relatively natural!
Gender roles exist because people need guidelines. You take guidelines away, and people freak out. No one knows how to act. And then it’s just freakin’ mayhem.
I’m proud to be a damn woman. And I’m proud to act like one. But I don’t fit all the roles. I can’t cook for the life of me–oh wait, are you offended by that? Are you offended that I relate cooking to a woman’s gender role? Well guess what, my boyfriend can cook…and shoot the deer that he throws on the skillet or the grill or blah blah blah. But he can’t sew a button on his khakis.
And I think pride goes back to something else. There CAN be distinctions! I’m proud to be a woman. I proud to have a little German and Czech in me. Mike’s proud to be a man. And to have some Indian (I’m not sayin’ Native American) in him. I know plenty of Puerto Ricans who are proud to be Puerto Rican. And I know plenty of other people from all areas of the world, or from certain descents, that are proud of that! But we’re not supposed to identify them by it.
Why not? They’re proud of it. WTF)(#*)$(*@#)$(*
I’m too mad to finish this. Have a good weekend, you androgynous, neutral-descended, ….crap I’m more offended by that than I am definition.