We fed them, cleaned up after them, and took care of them until they were 3 years old. And then the game started over. Here’s what I remember about Nano Babies:
- There were GigaPets, Tamagotchis, and Nano Babies. Nano Babies were my favorite.
- The sex of the Nano Baby changed each time you reset it. Then you got to name it.
- I named every single boy Nano Baby JTT, Jonathan, Taylor, Thomas, Jonny, etc. You see where I’m going with this.
- I named the girl Nano Babies after the Baby-Sitters Club: Stacey, Claudia, MaryAnne, Dawn…but never Mallory or Kristi.
- If you were mad at your cousin, you’d press the circle and square buttons simultaneously to reset the game and “kill” their baby. (Many tears were shed over early Nano Baby death.)
- When Nano Babies pooped, it left a big steaming pile on the screen and the baby crawled around it till you cleaned it up (surprisingly close to real life).
- The graphics on Nano Babies made them all look like lil blobs.
- If you didn’t “start” your baby at the right time, its sleep schedule would be off and you’d be up all night feeding the damn thing so it didn’t die overnight (again, surprisingly close to real life).
- You freaked out if you had your Nano Baby on your backpack or you left it in your locker and couldn’t get to it.
- Nano Babies got sick, and then they were even more of a pain in the ass.
Mostly, I remember that I loved that damn thing. I wish I could find it. Anyone want to give me theirs? I’ll trade you a bag of candy and two weeks’ allowance. 🙂