We might as well start this off right. Here’s the photo:
Oh. My. Garsh. What IS this? What is it?! Here is what I know about this photo:
- It is Britta’s birthday, which is September 4, so either late August, early September. Either way, it looks to still be pretty warm out.
- Britta was in the cute phase, where she thought crinkling her nose was smiling. 😉
- Meghan is chewing gum, which she probably took from her mother’s purse.
- Meghan is also coming at the camera, no doubt to say that she wants to take the pictures.
- I am wearing a horrendous jumpsuit looking outfit.
- Britta and Devon are sitting on the picnic table, which is where we more often sat than on the benches.
- Devon – Mickey Mouse in sunglasses. ‘Nuff said.
- Britta and Devon – side ponytails. Again, ’nuff said.
- I have a perm. I am in the second grade in this photo.
- I also have braces.
- And I am wearing a horrendous jumpsuit.
OBSCURE OBSERVATIONS (the more profound ones):
- The flash on the wrapping paper is unnerving.
- As brown as the grass is, it must have been hot, and the earth needed rain.
- There is laundry on the line. That clothesline served a major part of my childhood. The yard beyond that is where we performed gymnastics floor exercises. The whitewashed poles of the line were bases in tag, football, and more. And Grandma always had clothes on the line. See the clothes basket? See the jeans? So often, we stole the clothespins to attach old lottery tickets to our bike spokes so that we’d sound like motors.
- Beyond the yard is Gene’s Drive-Thru Carry-Out, where Meghan and I were locked in a freezer with a dead pig.
- Look at the hole in the picnic table. It was always a fight to not sit on that corner when we ate outside. It was so easy to forget, set your cup down in the hole, and spill it all over yourself. Not to mention, that picnic table hole tore more pairs of shorts and shirts than I want to think about.
- The woman in blue in the background? My mother. She says it was purple. I say it is blue.
- And our first Dodge Caravan. So sexy.
So odd what a photo can remind you of. Thanks, Britta, for searching through your desk and finding this embarrassing thing. 🙂