1990’s Nickelodeon has been back for two nights now. And I haven’t seen a damn episode.
I was so excited that these cartoons were coming back to television, and I still am. And I think the fact that I am this excited and still haven’t seen an episode is a testament to my frugal nature. In other words, I’m a cheap ass.
When I moved back to Ohio, I decided that I was going to be as frugal as possible. Not because I don’t have a good paying job (I’m very lucky to have a job that allows me to support myself and pay all my bills, and still have money left over) that I love, but because once I got a job, I immediately thought, “I’m going to save for the future!”
In my head, my being a frugal little shit meant my kids were going to have college funds (should they choose to go), that I could have a great down payment on a house someday, that I could attempt to pay for my wedding by myself. That I could take that road trip across the United States.
So I maintain my cheap ass-ness. And here’s how:
- No cable. Just Hulu and Redbox.
- I buy almond milk (longer expiration date) and mix it with water (because it’s so thick) for my cereal.
- I eat a lot of canned things…because it’s cheaper that way (I believe the sodium will preserve me better-pfft).
- I do not use lights if I have a television screen or computer screen on. Candles candles candles.
- The heat is never turned on above 62 degrees.
- The air is never on for more than 2 hours a day.
- I go to the grocery store once a month and spend around $100 because I HATE GROCERY SHOPPING (no fresh fruits and veggies for me).
- I run/walk my neighborhood because I refuse to drive somewhere to work out.
- I RARELY eat meals with unless it’s with Mike on the weekends (Mike rarely lets me pay anyway).
- I don’t eat or drink at sporting events.
- I carry granola bars around with me.
- A 94% fat free box of popcorn usually lasts me for about two weeks of lunches.
- I fill up my garbage bags until they’re bursting.
- I don’t drive anywhere I don’t have to.
- I will watch my seasons of Roseanne and That ’70s Show over and over and over again if there is nothing on Hulu.
- I fall in love with purses from J. Crew, and then never buy them.
- I enjoy myself.
Please do not think for one minute that my quality of life is suffering. I enjoy everything I do. I do miss out on some things (like those damn 90’s Nicktoons) but the truth is that I can live without them.
It is by no means an admirable life of minimalistic thoughts or tendencies. Just be thinking further ahead in life. 🙂