It’s been a damn long time since I could say this, but I don’t feel like the person I used to be. I truthfully feel like I know myself better than I have in years.
And you’re probably thinking, “Duh, you moron. You’re a mom now and a lot of shit has changed.” But I feel changes beyond being a mom now. Here are a few of the Ericas I’ve been in the past:
Poser Skater Erica: I accredit this “Erica” to my high school boyfriend – Phill – and PacSun & Hot Topic. I wore Popple shirts, QuickSilver, Billabong. I knew nothing about how to skateboard or surf. I just wore the stuff.
Rocker Erica: Poser Skater Erica quickly turned into Rocker Erica. Jean jacket with patches, tramp stamp that says “Rock Star,” and enough 80s hair metal to kill a small country. I had convictions – and they were all in the name of rock & roll.
Hippie Erica: In college, I found…nothing really. I just quit caring about anything and wore long skirts and climbed trees. It was good.
Ohio Erica: While attending grad school in North Carolina, I became very aware of my inner Ohioan. I felt connected to the state in a way I hadn’t before. It was MINE. That said, I was a bit lost regarding who I was then. Until I met Mike. Then I found some direction and knew I’d become someone’s forever.
Mom Erica: Rhett Calhoun was born in 2014 and I became a whole new me. That little guy became my main focus and he still is. But in that, I feel like I’ve learned more about myself than I used to. I’ve become hyper aware of things I enjoy. So here’s where I’m at:
Stuff 2015 Erica enjoys:
- Rhett Calhoun – he’s the best thing I’ve ever done.
- IPAs – the more bitter, the better.
- Merlot & Cabernet Sauvignon
- Praying – I’ve always known God is with me, but I talk to him a lot more now.
- Birds – Cardinals, finches, blue jays, and all their songs.
- Sushi – how I missed it when I was pregnant.
- Music – you’ll probably recall my struggle to find music that stuck with me. And this and this. I’m in a good spot with music. Truly. Bring on the 2000’s pop punk / punk & current bluegrass, folk, and Americana. I’m in a good place.
- Fancy Denim – this is nothing new, but it’s more profound than ever.
- Hanging Out with Mike – every moment together is appreciated.
- Organization – I’d lose my mind without my Google Keep.
- Essential Oils – welcome back, Hippie Erica.
- Nautical Things & Symbolism
- One Direction. Shut up.
- A Renewed Love of Grapefruit
- Tracking Packages
- Jimmy John’s Beach Club
We’ll see where I end up, but I’m liking where I’m going.